Sunday, July 13, 2014

Getting Enough Protein

Like many of you out there, the first thing I did when I went gluten-free was to find alternatives to my favorite carbs... bread, pasta, cakes, and pies. So getting enough carbs has not really been a problem... in fact with a number of local gluten-free bakeries, it is to the point where I no longer feel deprived.  What's more, fruits and vegetables are not lacking either. Since my husband and I joined a CSA, we have been thoroughly enjoying the abundance of fruits and vegetables from our weekly share and are having fun thinking up new and creative ways to serve up fresh fruits and vegetables at every meal... even breakfast! So it has come as quite a surprise to me that I am still not eating a well balanced diet. In keeping a food diary using my LoseIt.com phone app, I discovered that I am not maintaining a healthy balance among fats, proteins, and carbs in my diet. It was only when I took a closer look at my food diary, I discovered that my daily intake of protein was noticeably lacking. Upon reflection... this makes perfect sense.  In eating omelettes with egg beaters for breakfast, vegetables are playing a starring role, with shredded cheese, sausage, or ham playing supporting roles at best. In having salads for lunch and stir fries for dinner, again vegetables ... rather than meat.. are the star of the show. So like many of you who are striving to eat healthy... I have been short-changing myself of much needed protein with some unforeseen (and preventable) results such as hair loss, easy bruising, fatigue, or brain fog. And while this is bad enough.... there's more bad news. In my quest to eat healthier, I may even be preventing myself from achieving what I have been really trying to accomplish. In being protein deficient, I may be preventing my body from recovering from years of chronic inflammation, thereby preventing the healing process altogether. It got me to thinking... as more and more people are moving towards a healthier lifestyle and are exploring a gluten-free, vegan, or vegetarian diet...how many are protein malnourished? To them I say... do not overlook the role protein plays in a healthy diet... otherwise, you too may be dramatically slowly down the healing process! To learn more, check out  the The Hidden Signs of Protein Deficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment