Monday, November 24, 2014

Sugar in Healthy Foods


   I am looking forward to watching the movie called “That Sugar Film” by Australian film maker, Damon Gameau. When I first read the title, I thought, sure, sugar is bad and more and more studies are uncovering the risks and dangers of too much sugar. But what caught my interest the most is that Damon was not eating candy, ice cream, and drinking soda. He consumed foods that are perceived to be healthy such as low fat yogurt, granola bars, cereals, 100% fruit juices and sports drinks.

   I was surprised at first, but when I thought about it, it made sense to me. When food makers make a low fat version of something, they usually up the sugar to make it taste good. He consumed 40 teaspoons of sugar per day. This amount eventually impacted his physical and mental well-being. He very quickly developed fatty liver disease.

   I do not think sugar is necessarily evil, but too much is definitely not good. It is hidden in so many of our foods and comes in many forms. There are added sugars in foods where it is not immediately evident, such as tomato soup. You may be surmised where added sugar hides in our foods.

   The movie will be released in Australia in February 2015. A USA release has not yet been announced.
The Fox News article can be found here. An interview with the film maker can be seen on You Tube here.

No comments:

Post a Comment