Sunday, March 22, 2015

Hives aren’t always for the bee


   I’ve been away from the blog for a few weeks. But, I wanted to give the readers an update. Within the last week, I developed hives on my hands. Never having hives before, I wasn’t sure exactly what it was. My hands were painful to touch, swollen and covered in red welts. A visit to the urgent care center confirmed that it was indeed hives. The next thing was to figure out what substance caused the allergic reaction. My wife helped me to remember everything we had eaten the day before the hives appeared. We tracked it down to either tomatoes or soy lecithin. I didn’t have any tomatoes for several days but the hives were not subsiding. Unbeknownst to me, soy lecithin can be found in many products. Once I understood that, I stayed away from anything that contained soy lecithin. At the end of the day, my hives were beginning to subside. This puts another twist to my dieting.

   Why did I suddenly have a reaction? I’m not really sure but I suspect that I accidently overloaded on soy lecithin on the day before the hives appeared. I have eaten so many of the foods that have soy lecithin, but I do not think I ever had so much within a 24 hour period. Once my hives have cleared, I will have to do some testing.

   My doctor told me that allergies can appear anytime. Things that may have never bothered you before can suddenly cause an unpleasant reaction. Learning what I can and cannot eat and listening to my body is a slow process but it is worth the reward of good health, fitness and long life.  When I think hives, I immediately think bees, but I suppose that hives aren’t always for the bees. I certainly would rather let the bees have their hives, then for me to have mine.

   Take care, stay well, eat healthily, and live long.

No comments:

Post a Comment