Sunday, April 27, 2014

Donating Blood Benefits You Too!

I donated blood last week. My youngest son has donated blood for years. When I was first interested years ago, my son told me that I would not be eligible because I have a heart condition, so I did not pursue it. A doctor mentioned in one of the many youtube videos that I have watched that donating blood could vastly reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. That piqued my interest. I checked with the American Red Cross and found out that I was eligible. My particular heart condition was not one that disqualified me as a donor. Donating was easy. It takes about an hour, but the actual blood draw only takes 8 - 10 minutes,

Below is one of many articles concerning the study that found that frequent blood donations can cut heart attack risk as much as 88% and cut risk of stroke up to 33%. When you give blood, you not only can save the life of someone else, you can protect yourself as well.


Want to reduce your heart attack and stroke risk? Donate blood

Check with the American Red Cross or your local blood bank to see if you are eligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment