Saturday, April 19, 2014

Eating Out Grain-Free



   Just the other day, someone asked me, because of my diet, if I still went out for meals. The answer is yes. We do not go out as often because the meals we make at home are much more colorful and flavorful than we usually get at a diner or restaurant.
   So how does this work. Every restaurant we have visited has had no issue with us requesting bread and croutons be omitted from our meals. I look for broiled or baked entrees, substitute cottage cheese, cole slaw, vegetable or fruit for the starch. For instance, a recent meal consisted of: broiled cod with butter, lemon and pepper; steamed broccoli; cottage cheese; and water with lemon. Not only was this meal delicious and filling, but totaled just 401 calories.
   Another recent meal out consisted of: petite sirloin steak; broccoli;, sautéed zucchini and yellow squash; and water and lemon. Again, delicious and filling and a mere 424 calories. Each of these meals contained very little carbohydrates. They left me satisfied. Because I have gone awhile without grains, I had no craving for bread or pasta or even dessert.
   I track all that I eat so that I can keep track of my nutrient intake. According to LoseIt app, my calorie budget each day is just over 1900. I find that I eat much less than that, not purposely but because I just don’t feel the need to eat more. Proteins and fats satisfy you quickly, especially when you are not exposing yourself to the opiate-like substances in wheat which further stimulate your appetite. If you concentrate on vegetables over fruit, you also keep your blood sugar more level. Of course, starch vegetables can raise your glucose levels, but I avoid those too.
   You can have very satisfying meals in restaurants that are grain free. Even simple lunch items can be easily adjusted by the kitchen. Ask them to leave off the bread and eat the sandwich without it or ask them to wrap the sandwich contents in lettuce.
    Being mindful of how foods effect the body, this can be an effective lifestyle decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment